Online Communications Consultant
I freelance as an online communications consultant and writer, using a mix of technical, creative, and soft skills.
Services I provide:
– Content management (web, mass email, social media)
– Research, editing, & copywriting
– Website setup & maintenance
– Maintenance & upgrades for old/legacy websites
– Data wrangling
– Referrals to other skilled professionals
– Project management
Some of the organizations or projects I’ve worked with:
– Baltimore Efficiency & Economy Foundation
– BaltimoreUrbanAg.org (now lying fallow)
– Chesapeake Film Festival
– Common Good City Farm
– Creative Alliance
– Hearthfire Creative
– Maryland Disability Law Center (now called Disability Rights Maryland)
– National Electronics Museum
– Rising Tide Partners
– Ruscombe Mansion Community Health Center
– The Better World Store (now closed, unfortunately)
– Tidewater Book Company, LLC
– 21st Century Radio
– Urban Phoenix Properties
I also volunteer with the University of Maryland Extension Baltimore City Master Gardeners program, and currently sit on the boards of three Southwest Baltimore community organizations:
– Mt. Clare Street Community Garden
– Pigtown Farmers Market
– Union Square Association
Besides my (infrequent) blog posts and poems, you can find little bits here and there on the internet that are either written by me or related to things I’ve done:
– Feminist history social media campaign for Secret Life of Lady Liberty. August-December 2016.
– Union Square Newsletter, “Cleaning & Greening,” page 6. June 2016.
– Union Square Newsletter, “Growing the Urban Forest,” page 6. May 2016.
– Common Good City Farm, “Building the Local Community.” June 2012.
– Video from DC Farm to School Week, October 2011.
– AllMusic review of the ambient anthology Belly of the Whale (to which I contributed), released June 2006.
Homer Smith graduated summa cum laude from Lindenwood University in December 2008, holding a wide variety of odd jobs (from landscaping crew leader to quartet singer) until joining a flagging data processing project with a Midwestern Fortune 500 company, and coordinating it successfully to completion. As an independent consultant, he has helped startups, non-profits, historians, and artists with operations, research, and communications. Outside of work, he gardens and works to build local community in his Baltimore community.